Monday, January 21, 2013

Exploring Penang Heritage sites - My purple metal pony

A day out exploring Penang Heritage sites with Betty was awesome. Drove all the way to Armenian street and started exploring town. It was like how long since I've rode a bicycle? 20 years I guess....?? The ride was adventurous, fun, and full of scenic views. I would say it is a leisure type of ride ~

1. Walking down Armenian street, we came upon a bicycle rental shop. Of RM10-15, you can rent yourself a metal horse of your choice for the whole day~ I asked the uncle if there is anything that is available with 4 wheels instead of 2 as I was kinda scared of riding a 2 wheel metal horse lolz. Before starting our journey, uncle suggest to practice at the back alley. And, get to know how clumsy I was on 2 wheels. Exactly like a noob rider trying to tame her little pony before a rodeo show.



              Armenian Street (photo from web) Where we rented our bikes~ 


Heading towards Acheh St. (photo from web)
One of the wall painting by Ernest 

2. We started our journey exploring around Cintra street and ended up at Tai Tong for Dim Sum... Ooo yummy ~ After Dim Sum, we were trying to figure out where to go. Pointing out for directions and humming the song "Somewhere out there..."
De Tai Tong Dim Sum (photo from web) 

3. From Cintra Street, we head back to Armenian Street and approach Beach Street where the roads were close for cyclist to cycle around.

 
Beach Street (photo from web)
4. Under the hot sun, I suddenly crave for something cold and juicy... and what came to my mind? Yes, PikNik Smoothies~ So we started our journey from Beach Street to Nagore road (using the usual route - Passing by St. George's Church, Farquhar Street -> Francis Light's memorial, Light Street and all the way to Nagore Road.
 

St. George's Church (photo from web) 



Penang Muzeum (photo from web)

Francis Light's Tomb (photo from web) 

5. While enjoying the scene and breeze under the hot sun, we finally reached Nagore Road. Unfortunately, I did not know that PikNik opens only at 3pm on Sunday and it was only 1pm when we arrive. So, after discussion, we decided to tie our "metal horses" aside one of the shop and walked over to Si Tigun Cafe for a drink.



My Purple Metal Pony and Betty's Orange Horsey~


si Tigun Cafe @ Nagore Road (photo from web) 

 
Refreshing ice Jasmine Tea and Flour-less Chocolate Cake~

Me on my metal pony before heading back 

6. Heading back to Armenian Street, we thought of using a different route instead. From Nagore road to Chulia Street, passing by the row of shop lots. It felt like going down memory lane (childhood memories)....

 
Campbell Street (photo from web) 

Campbell Street (photo from web)

Ending our journey for the day slightly bbq-ued and awesomely char-coaled. Can't wait to plan and execute the next adventure. 

No comments: